Let Us Spots Clue You In
How To Spot Water Damage
Do you know how to spot damage from water? Some clues are obvious, while others may not be. So what should you look for to see if you have a water damage issue in your home or commercial office?
- Water Accumulation– Is there standing or pooling water on your floor that is building up in an area of your home or office? This could be from a faulty appliance line, toilets, leaky pipe or flooding from a storm. Or did someone leave the bathtub faucet running?
- Discoloration- When water begins to accumulate above your ceiling, you may not be able to see the water but you will begin to see the ceiling change color. The area may appear wet or dry, and can be a yellow, brown or copper color. Walls may also have bubbling, cracking or peeling paint or wallpaper in addition to staining.
- Changes in texture- Water if let unattended will begin to cause additional damages.
- Buckling– The edges of your wood floors may begin to rise up after the water seeps into them, causing damage to the floor.
- Sagging/Sinking-The water can get into the floor board and cause your hardwood floors to 'feel soft' and 'sag'. If you notice this in your home, call SERVPRO of Franklin, Vance & Granville Counties right away so a professional can evaluate the affected area.
- Expansion - If the humidity is too high and/or the building materials absorb too much water, they can begin to separate, as known as delamination. Two areas to keep an eye out for this are your wood floor and the casing around your doors and baseboards. Those are early signs you might have water damage.
Mold can grow in your home or office after finding water damage within 24-48 hours. SERVPRO responds fast to begin the water removal process. By responding quickly, SERVPRO minimizes the water damage while also reducing the chance of having mold damage in your home.
When dealing with water damage, the faster you can begin the restoration process, the better chance you have of insurance covering the damage and you of mitigating the issue from becoming larger. Please call SERVPRO of Franklin, Vance & Granville Counties at 252-433-0005 or 919-433-0009, and we will make it “Like it never even happened.”